Crispy Alaska Cod BLT Sandwich
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup baking powder
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup water + 1 Tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 fillet of Alaska cod (about 1.5 pounds), cut into six pieces fit bun size
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 6 Potato roll buns
- 1 large tomato, thick slices
- 12 pieces of bacon (note: if you’re out of bacon, add capers for saltiness)
- Fresh Dill
- Sliced dill kosher pickles
- 1/3 cup light Mayo
- 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
- 1/2 Garlic clove grated
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, water, baking powder, and salt until smooth. The batter will bubble up, but continue to stir until the bubbles dissipate and the batter is smooth. Add spices, stir again.
Cut Cod into portions to fit bun.
Heat 1.5 inches of oil in a small cast iron skillet until it shimmers (you’ll only be cooking 1 piece at a time). Dip each piece of cod into the batter, one at a time and drop directly into the skillet with oil. Cook about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown with an internal temperature of 145 F. Continue this process with each piece of cod.
Toast buns. Prepare sandwich spread by stirring ingredients together. Spread mayonnaise mixture on each bun. Layer pickles, dill, fish, tomatoes, bacon, lettuce. Serve immediately.
Image and Recipe courtesy of www.AlaskaSeafood.org
Recipe courtesy of Carlene Thomas of OhCarlene.