Working in Alaska
Thank you for your interest in working for Ocean Beauty Seafoods! We think Ocean Beauty is a pretty incredible place to work and we know you will love it too! Our Alaska plants each offer their own unique experience. Whether you are looking for a remote plant with little outside influences or a plant within walking distances to restaurants and town, we have it all! Ocean Beauty focuses on getting high quality sustainable seafood to grocery stores, wholesalers, distributors and restaurants. Chances are, you have had our delicious product!
Our mission is to deliver the safest and highest quality sustainable seafood products to the world and we couldn’t do that without your help!
- Handle, clean, gut, fillet, portion, cut, wash, separate, and be-head fish for packing, canning, freezing, boxing, and grading. Clean and pack fish eggs
- Feed product onto conveyor belts and other food manufacturing equipment
- Mark and label containers, container tags, or product, using marking tools
- Prepare fish for consumer use for grocery stores, restaurants, and wholesalers
- Measure, weigh, package, sort, dice, debone, mince, chop, and count product
- Examine and inspect product, containers, boxes, totes, and cans in order to ensure that packing specifications are met
- Record product, packaging and order information on specified forms, and record each shift either in computer tracking system or on official documents
- Remove completed or defective products, placing them on moving equipment such as conveyors or in specified designated areas
- Seal boxes, totes, or crates, using strappers, tapers, glue guns, sealers, and hand tools
Requirements of the Job:
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Must have valid documentation that verifies identity and employment authorization to work in the United States.
- Pass a pre-employment background check and drug test.
- Speak and understand English (for safety reasons).
The processing plant consists of food processing machines, filleters, sealers, vac-pac, canners, glazers, strappers, retorts, conveyor belts, hoppers, forklifts, moving objects as well as other automated food processing equipment. Noise level is high with running machinery. Protective ear-wear is required and supplied by the Company. There is a constant running of water throughout the plants; the floors are wet and slippery. Employees are required to purchase and wear rubber non-skid boots. Employees that work on the dock are subject to adverse weather conditions. Rain gear is supplied. Employees that work in or around the freezers are exposed to sub-zero temperatures. Protective freezer clothing is issued on a borrow basis. Added warm clothing is recommended that the employee will supply. Employees are subject to standing on their feet for long periods of time, up to 18 hours a day. Work is physically demanding and repetitive. There is no guarantee of hours. If there is no fish to process, employees will not work. If there is no work, employees will not earn income.
What to wear when working in the plant:
Because the temperature in the processing plants is controlled and cold, employees are advised to dress warmly with multiple layers of clothing as well as a hat. Baseball and stocking caps are acceptable. Hats that contain any lose or hanging parts are not allowed. Hairnets are required; employees may wear their hat over the hairnet. Beard nets are required for all employees with facial hair. With the damp environment and the handling of wet fish, the company will supply employees with water-proof aprons, gloves, and sleeves. Jewelry, watches, rings; (unless a band without stones) earrings, necklaces, as well as face, eyebrow, lip, tongue, and other body jewelry are not allowed. Warm breathable socks are recommended.
For all of our processing plants except Kodiak, sleeping quarters are available and assigned to employees. Bunkhouses are similar to dormitories. Some of the rooms sleep up to 8 people. Each person will get their own bed. Bathrooms are also shared; there is not an individual bathroom for each room. They are usually on the same floor as the rooms. Toilet paper and paper towels are supplied but employees must bring their own toiletries and bath towels. Employees are given room keys so they can secure personal items. There is no guarantee that roommates will work the same shift, but it is taken into consideration when assigning rooms. Housing is not coed. Males and females cannot stay or live together. There is a daily charge for room and board. It is deducted from payroll checks. Room and board charges may vary from plant to plant. Your room and board charges will never exceed $20.00 per day. If you do not work due to lack of fish, you will not be charged room and board for that day. Clean sheets and blankets will be provided however, many employees like to bring their own pillow, sheets, and/or blanket. Please understand the room and board charges for the location you are being hired for.
Meals and breaks:
Ocean Beauty provides three hot nutritious meals a day. Food is served in a mess-hall which is located on the premises, except for the Kodiak plant. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served. Employees may eat more than one portion as long as the food is eaten and not wasted. Food cannot be taken from the mess hall. All food and drink must be consumed in the mess hall during the meal period. Mess halls offer a sanitation station for employees to sanitize hands before handling food. Sanitizing your hands is required before you dish up or are served your meal. Protein, vegetables, fruit, rice, and potatoes are all staple food items offered. Beverages served consist of juice, coffee, and water. Milk is not offered.
All employees will be given a break for every two hours worked. A meal period is counted as a break. During employee breaks, you can use this time for personal use such as eating, smoking, changing clothes, visiting, etc. Please be aware of the designated smoking areas that may be separate from other community areas.
Transportation to the plant:
Each of our plants offer transportation arrangements. Please make sure you understand your Itinerary. Alaska law requires that if your airfare is paid by the company, your return airfare will also be covered, unless you are discharged for cause. Flight after the season will return you to the place of hire.
Entry-level positions will start at $10.00 per hour. Other positions offered may have more responsibility and pay slightly more. Ocean Beauty supports the Equal Pay Act which requires men and women be given equal pay for equal work.
What to bring with you from home:
We recommend you pack your personal belongings in either a suitcase or duffle bag. Bring no more than 2 suitcases or duffle bags. Additional bags will cost you approximately $25.00 extra depending on the weight. If they are extra heavy, the airlines will charge you more. Work is performed in a factory environment, so we recommend you bring casual warm clothes such as:
- Sweatshirts and sweatpants
- Sweaters and short sleeve shirts if we have some warm days
- Thermal underwear
- Socks (bring more that you will need, it is always a pleasure to change into clean dry socks when on your feet for many hours)
- Personal items like medication, aspirin, Band-Aids, over the counter medicines, and vitamins. Be sure to pack enough medication for the duration of your stay
- Toiletries like toothpaste, toothbrush, floss, deodorant, personal feminine items, curling iron, hair products, face cream, shampoo/conditioner, razors or electric shavers along with charger, finger nail clippers, hairbands to tie back hair, and other personal items you would pack as if you were going on a long trip
- A shower caddy to bring toiletries to and from the bathroom
- Waterproof flip flops for the shower
- Laptop and cell phone – Please note not all of our Alaska locations offer services to use electronic devices…check with the plant that you will be hired at.
- Coat, gloves, scarfs, stocking hats, baseball caps, and other outer wear that will keep you warm and dry. The weather in Alaska can be unpredictable
- Ear plugs and a sleep mask if you prefer very dark and quiet rooms
- Pillow and extra blanket or sleeping bag
- Small amount of cash for purchasing personal items, cigarettes, or other grocery or needed products
- Ready to eat snacks
- Comfortable durable shoes
- Rubber boots
- Envelopes, writing paper, and stamps for those locations that do not have cell phone, internet service
- Weapons including knives, all types of firearms (real or replicas), sling shots, or any object that may be viewed as a weapon
- All types of illegal drugs including marijuana
Possession of firearms, fireworks, explosives, weapons of any kind and replicas or facsimiles thereof is prohibited on Ocean Beauty property. Possession of banned items on company property (including company bunkhouse and Mess Hall) is prohibited and grounds for immediate dismissal. The sale of any such items on company property or during work time is strictly prohibited and will result in immediate termination and possible prosecution.
Proper etiquette in food processing areas – code of practice for food hygiene:
Because we handle food, food safety is a high priority. We cannot allow our employees to:
- Spit on the floor of any area where food is handled. This includes the entire processing area like warehouse, dock, mess hall, bathrooms, freezers, staging areas, bunkhouses, sidewalks, stairs, and walking paths to and from the processing plant
- Chewing gum or have other items in the mouth such as throat lozenges, candy, food, and tongue or mouth jewelry
- Wearing of nail polish or acrylic nails is prohibited
- You must be properly groomed, nails trimmed and clean. Body cleanliness with frequent showers are required; you will be dismissed to shower if body odors are detected
- Outer clothing must be clean and free of extreme wear
- Mouth and teeth maintained with frequent cleaning
- Nose and ear hair groomed without excess growth
We expect our employees to be professional and responsible displaying respect and admiration for the Company and fellow employees. We expect you to be honest, fair, kind, and hold your level of integrity and excellence to a high standard. We want you to be proud of yourself and proud to be an Ocean Beauty employee that produces superior seafood. We want you to be stewards of the oceans and land, preserving, protecting, and caring of it.
We will offer you a safe place to work, opportunity to work and meet friends. Appreciation for a job well-done, tactful discipline, and fair treatment. We treat our employees with the respect and honor with the diversity they hold. We too will be stewards of the environment and continue our process of growth and development without depleting our natural resources.
Seasons our Plants Operate:
- Cordova- Mid-May through Early September
- Petersburg- Late June through Mid-September
- Alitak- Early April through Mid-September
- Excursion Inlet- Early July through the end of August
- Naknek- Mid-June through Mid-August
Ocean Beauty strictly prohibits the use, making, sale, purchase, transfer, distribution, consumption, or possession of drugs or alcohol on Company property. To this end, the Company reserves the right to conduct searches for drugs or alcohol, including, but not limited to, searches of lockers, filing cabinets, desks, packages, bunkhouses, luggage, clothing, on person, and other personal items or storage areas which are on Company property or in a Company facility or vehicle. Any drugs or alcohol found as a result of such a search will be confiscated and the police and Human Resources will be notified. Employee or user of the object searched will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Ocean Beauty Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Females, Persons with a disability, Handicapped, and Veterans are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other basis protections by local, State and Federal laws.
Ocean Beauty Seafoods is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE/AA M/F/D/V