Alaska Crab Cakes with Spicy Aioli
- ¼ Cup Avocado Oil Mayo
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp Dijon
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tsp Hot Sauce
- Sea Salt / Fresh Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Alaska Snow Crab Meat (from 2 lbs of Snow Crab Legs)
- 1 Cup Panko Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Avocado Oil, For Pan Frying
- 1/2 Cup Avocado Oil Mayo
- ½ Fresh Lime, Squeezed
- 1 tsp Sriracha
For Garnish/ Serving:
- Lemon Wedges for Garnish
- Lettuce for serving
1. Start by preparing the snow crab. You can do this in advance and store the crab meat in the fridge if you wish. Bring a large pot to a boil with salted water. Add in all of the crab legs. Let it boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once cooled, you will need to remove the crab meat from inside the shells (legs and center). It takes some time and you may need a hefty pair of scissors or a nutcracker. Once all the crab meat is removed, discard the shells.
2. Using a fork (or your hands), mash / break up the crab meat so it is “shredded”. You want the pieces to be smaller for the cakes. Set in a bowl and off to the side.
3. Now for the crab cake mixture. In a large bowl combine avocado oil mayo, Dijon mustard, ketchup, apple cider vinegar, egg and hot sauce. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Add in crab meat, panko crumbs and chopped parsley into the bowl. Mix well. Use a spatula to mix and press on the mixture as you go to really get it to make stick together.
5. Scoop a small handful of raw mixture and make dense balls with your hands. Press well with your hands. Repeat to make 9-12 cakes.
6. Heat up avocado oil in a cast iron skillet. When oil starts to sizzle, add cakes into the pan. Make sure they are evenly spread out. Using a spatula, press down on each cake to flatten slightly.
7. Let them cook for 3-5 minutes on each side. Be careful when flipping them, use a wide spatula.
8. As the cakes are sizzling, make the aioli by adding avocado oil mayo, lime juice and hot sauce in a small bowl and mixing together.
9. When they are crispy brown on both sides, they are ready to serve. Serve with aioli and a fresh lemon wedge.